HM#003 - THE GOSPEL AND GOD'S COVENANT WITH ABRAHAM
A careful reading of the New Testament will show that the Gospel we now hear is the SAME as that preached to Abraham! (Galatians 3:8-9)
The GOOD NEWS from the New Testament is all about how God is fulfilling His covenant with Abraham. And it contains the same CONDITIONAL offer made to Abraham, through which we also can share in Abraham's inheritance. (Genesis 17:1-2)
God made specific promises to Abraham, the Father of the Jewish race.
So unchangeable is this covenant that God swore an OATH to confirm it.
The specific promises are :-
- That Abraham would become a great NATION.
- That Abraham and his descendants would inherit the LAND of Canaanas an everlasting possession.
- That through Abraham and one of His descendants, all families of theearth would be BLESSED.
- The REAL "great nation" refers only to those "spiritual descendants"who share the FAITH OF ABRAHAM. (Romans 4:13-17)
- The "promised land" actually includes the WHOLE EARTH.(Romans 4:13, Matthew 5:5)
- The promised descendant through whom the blessing comes is JESUS.(Galatians 3:16)
- Our future inheritance of the promises is THE GOSPEL HOPE.(Galatians 3:29, Hebrews 11:8,13,39-40)
- The promises are the GUARANTEE of the resurrection of our bodies.(Luke 20:27-38)
THEY ARE OUR ETERNAL FUTURE!
A COMPARISON WITH "POPULAR GOSPELS".
From these promises we learn that :-
- The real hope of IMMORTALITY depends on a bodily resurrection.(Not on the continuing life of inherent immortal souls without a body)
- Our eternal inheritance is received AFTER Jesus returns from heaven.(Not immediately at death)
- The place of our eternal reward is on EARTH.(Not in Heaven)
- This inheritance is reserved for those who share the FAITH of Abraham,in God's promises to Abraham.
(It is not for those who cannot possibly believe promises they have never heard)
IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT WE MAKE THEM AN INDISPENSABLE ELEMENT OF THE GOOD NEWS WE PREACH.
A "GOSPEL" WHICH DOES NOT CONTAIN THESE PROMISES IS NO GOSPEL AT ALL!
"Every one who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved." But how are men to call upon him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without a preacher? ..... So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes by the preaching of Christ." (Romans 10:13-17)